The 2018-2019 Policy Platform & Action Agenda
The Carrboro Business Alliance voted and approved the 2018-2019 Policy Platform and Action Agenda in April 2018.
Values: There are five values that anchor the Policy Platform and Action Agenda. We believe:
- A successful economy is essential for a sustainable community.
- Diversity builds a more resilient economy and we oppose discrimination in all forms.
- The progressive reputation of our community is an asset and part of our competitive advantage.
- Carrboro benefits from the success of neighboring towns and the region.
- Cooperation and collaboration between and among business, nonprofit organizations, government, academia, and residents is civics at its best and enhances our overall quality of life.
Platform: There are three pillars to our policy platform:
I. Retain, Recruit, & Grow Employers
- We support policies and projects that create local jobs and contribute to improved quality of life.
- We support policies that increase formation, retention, and relocation of businesses and nonprofit organizations in our community, including creating the commercial space needed to house them.
- We support the development and maintenance of an ecosystem that supports entrepreneurs, startups and existing enterprises in all phases of their business lifecycle.
II. Improve Business Climate and Regulatory Environment
- We advocate for policies that make it easier to build, renovate, and redevelop commercial property.
- We advocate for plentiful, accessible, parking in the downtown.
- We advocate for a fair tax and fee system that does not negatively target nor disadvantage specific sectors or industries.
III. Build and Maintain Infrastructure
- We support accessible, reliable, and affordable utilities including water, energy, high speed internet, and telephone service.
- We advocate for improved multi-modal transit and transportation infrastructure to ease commuting and reduce congestion.
- We support creating and maintaining community amenities that support a quality of life that attracts and retains talent and employers including well-planned parks, sidewalks and greenways.
Action Agenda: Guided by our values and informed by our policy platform, the Carrboro Business Alliance has a clear action agenda for 2018-2019. We will:
- Collaborate with the Town and developer to ease road closure burdens on local businesses.
- Advocate for no net loss of publicly available parking in downtown Carrboro.
- Advocate for a Carrboro-appropriate public behavior related ordinance.
- Advocate for no property tax increase in FY2019 budget.
- Advocate to increase in business representation on town boards and commissions.
- Advocate for the Town of Carrboro to adopt a “buy local” preference in contracting and purchasing.
Committee: Delivering on the Carrboro Business Alliance Policy Platform & Action Agenda is coordinated effort by a group of dedicated business leaders serving in a volunteer capacity through the Policy & Advocacy Committee. This committee is committed to making Carrboro a great great place to start and grow an enterprise. Those leaders include:
- Scott Conary, Open Eye Cafe
- Tyler Huntington, Tyler's Restaurant and Taproom
- Erik Lensch, Looking Glass Cafe
- Nathan Millian, Carr Mill Mall
- Rae Mosher, Carrburritos
- Marc Pons, Chapel Hill Tire
Contact: For questions about policy positions and advocacy efforts underway, contact Katie Loovis, who staffs the Committee and is Vice President for External Affairs, Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce.